A scenario that no gamer wants to encounter is when a laptop crashes or refuses to react at a crucial stage in a game. This is something that all small time and big time gamers have faced at some point. As a basic rule, when you try to pack heavy performing processors, graphic cards, sound cards etc. into a laptop, maintaining it is critical.
- To keep your hardware working fine, it needs to be in good condition. Make sure you keep your laptop dust free. Apart from keeping the outer surface clean, it is important to clean the hardware from time to time.
- Keep an eye out for releases such as updates or fixes for your operating system. The manufacturers will always come out with fixes for issues that crop up. If you keep your operating system with these updates, the OS will perform better.
- The next critical aspect will be drivers or software updates. For gamers, the drivers and the software performs a major chunk of the work. Both have a direct impact on the performance of the laptop. When new games are released, they tend to have issues with performance and stability of the drivers. Updates and fixes are released to address these issues. In addition, the companies address issues relating to security features. All of this will be taken care of when the drivers are kept current.
- Viruses can seriously cripple your laptop. Once it infects your system, a lot of damage will be done before you can even identify the problem. Not only do these viruses affect the system’s memory but expose your confidential information too. A good virus protection is like an investment. You should buy a licensed version that will allow you access to frequent updates, information about recent viruses etc.
- One of the lesser known tools to have shorter loading times in laptops is “defragment”. What this does is to defragment the data clusters. In simpler terms when a request is made for a file that has been moved more than a couple of times, the system spends more time trying to locate it. When you defragment, it aligns the file in a sequence reducing the work on the system.
- It is always a good habit to check the hard disk for problems or a system errors. It is possible and this can be dealt with by running the “check disk” function. This will improve the overall stability of the hard disk.
- A laptop is a wonderful multitasking system but it is used beyond its abilities when people run many programs at one go. When you are playing a game, and do not have a use for a certain program, make sure you close those. It is important to close unwanted applications and programs and then play the game. This will drastically improve the gaming experience.
Laptops were originally meant to be smaller versions of personal computers that can function like one when you are on the move. However, with time they have taken on greater and many more functions. You can extend its life by taking care of it but it is necessary to supplement it with additional hardware whenever the opportunity presents itself.
Insist on buying certified and licensed products for your laptop. This will help you to make the best out of your laptop at the same time extending its life.